Monday, November 06, 2006

Is The Theory of Grace an invention of Martin Luther?

I could not believe it that I saw something in Aish that is so blinded that I think the author, Rabbi Ken Spiro, should at least look at the claims that the 'theory' of Grace is not a theory at all...it is the Character of God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

(The link: http://www.aish.com/literacy/jewishhistory/Crash_Course_in_Jewish_History__Part_50_-_The_Reformation_and_the_Jews.asp)

Here is my reply to the article:

Re: History Shows the Depravity of Men and the Need for God

To all,

I am a Christian and I understand the impact of history to how we live today. The sad part is that some people do not learn from history and thus history repeats itself, to the detriment of many.

Now I saw a comment that said Christians ought to be ashamed of themselves and stop believing in Christianity because of the atrocities that was committed. I think that is wrong and should not be imposed on people. Imagine me asking Jews to stop believing in Judaism just because someone who profess to be a practising Jew commits sins.

Fact is: we all are sinners. We are a given the status of righteousness by God purely by God's grace as what He has given to Abraham (Gen 15:6).

This is what I say. The church is by no means a perfect representation of God's goodness however due recognition should be given for the good that the church does in all times. To just showcase a person's failure and brand him as a bad person is not giving the person a chance to change for the better. If we keep hounding on a person's past, without the positive expectation of good in the form of improving, then we are condemning a person pre-maturely. That will be a sad day for all.

By the way, there's no such thing called 'theory' of Grace. On the contrary, Grace is the character of God that has shown to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and numerous Bible heros and also to me.

So did the church done evil in the name of religion? Yes I have to concede that fact. But does that mean that the church has not improve? I think the Rabbi has seen also that Christians are also supporters of Jews and the state of Israel. As with any relationship, forgiveness is the key to restore and build relationship. Let it be so while we learn about history too.

No comments: