Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Bearean Has Does It Again: Eternal Salvation Not Possible?

One reason I subscribe to The Bearean is to see, how much wrong can a Christian website be when it comes to interpreting scriptures. This website is not a cult but sometimes it is their teachings that put fears into the believers and doubt their salvation!

The Highlight of Today: http://theberean.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Home.showBerean/BereanID/1255/Hebrews-10-26-31

And the key passage is this:

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more a sacrifice for sins,

On first read one would readily think that he or she understood this passage as to say that Christians have the ability to lose their sacrifice for sins (thereby salvation) if we sin wilfully.

Now I want to really ask, does the Christian sin? Of course we do! Sometimes we sin without knowing and sometimes we sin wilfully because of our human flesh. And that's why we are so called 'Fallen from Grace'. But is Grace is sufficient for only those who upheld God's law of love or is it for everyone? We have to think about this really carefully because the wrong answer will lead to a wrong picture of God and His Son and about Their intention of salvation.

I can point to one verse that debunked what Brother Richard T. Ritenbaugh is trying to preach here and it comes from none other than Apostle Paul!

Rom 7:14-25 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am fleshly, having been sold under sin. (15) For what I work out, I do not know. For what I do not will, this I do. But what I hate, this I do. (16) But if I do what I do not will, I agree with the Law, that it is good. (17) But now I no longer work it out, but the sin dwelling in me. (18) For I know that in me, that is in my flesh, dwells no good. For to will is present to me, but to work out the good I do not find. (19) For what good I desire, I do not do. But the evil I do not desire, this I do. (20) But if I do what I do not desire, it is no longer I working it out, but the sin dwelling in me. (21) I find then the law, when I desire to do the right, that evil is present with me. (22) For I delight in the Law of God according to the inward man; (23) but I see another law in my members having warred against the law of my mind, and taking me captive by the law of sin being in my members. (24) O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death? (25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then I myself with the mind truly serve the Law of God, and with the flesh the law of sin.

What Apostle Paul wanted to say is simply this: We still reside in a body, a flesh of sin. We have a mind to do what God really wants to do and yet while we are still in this body, we still sin! Apostle says so much here, we still wilfully sin in this body even though we REALLY do not want to do it. So do we have any hope? Apostle Paul said it in His most wonder cry of frustration " O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

You know what? JESUS delivered Apostle Paul from the body of this death! JESUS has delivered ME, His Beloved from the body of this death! WE who are in CHRIST are NOW delivered from DEATH! We have salvation!

Now when we go back to the question of Grace, do you think we could ever fall beyond the reach of Grace?

Rom 5:6-8 for we yet being without strength, in due time Christ died for ungodly ones. (7) For with difficulty one will die for a just one, (for perhaps one even dares to die for the sake of the good one), (8) but God commends His love to us in this, that we being yet sinners, Christ died for us.

While we are sinners, Christ died for us so that we can receive salvation! Grace is over and abundantly sufficient for us so much so that Grace can actually reached us while we are sinners! If that is so, how in the world can we fall from grace?!?!

So when we go back to Hebrew, the question of whether we as believers wilfully sin or not is not an issue anymore because of the quality and the perfectness of Jesus' blood's ability to cleanse us!

So what is this particular verse is trying to teach?

I used the CEV to better illustrate this particular verse

Heb 10:26 No sacrifices can be made for people who decide to sin after they find out about the truth.

Question:
a) What is THE truth (not a truth or one of the truths, but the ONE and ONLY important truth in the Christian life) that this verse is talking about?
b) What kind of sacrifice that people cannot make once they sin after knowing the truth?

Answer

a) THE truth is this, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that everyone believing into Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (17) For God did not send His Son into the world that He might judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him (John" 3:16-17 )"

b) If we do not believe in THE Sacrifice, how can we use Jesus as the Sacrifice for OUR sins? If we cannot use this particular sacrifice, how in the world are we able to gain remission for our sins? That's why the sacrifice remain no more for us to use!

God is in the business of saving the world NOW, before He came back for good! If His blood is so 'weak' so much so that The Blood cannot cover the sins of the world or it can cover only for a period of time until we sin wilfully, then Jesus died in vain because His blood in this case would be not much better than sheep and goats!

However His blood cleanses us while we are sinners...that's how powerful it is! If it is that powerful do we dare to think otherwise that His Salvation is not eternal?

Brother Ritenbaugh, you have lots of explaining to do to the Lord because you do not believe in the saving power of Jesus and thus you are in danger of losing your salvation as based on your arguments. If you do, you would not have to convince people that there's no such thing as 'Eternal Security'. I beg to differ! Our Lord's cleansing blood is effectively throughout eternity from history till the end of eternity!

No comments: