Friday, March 30, 2007

To Quit Or Not To Quit, That is the Question!

Since I am the admin of the care group, I was 'forced' to remember what was said on Tuesday night.

That hypothetical question of getting blessed but then have obstacles at work got me really thinking. This is just sharing but do put in what you think if the Lord leads.

This is what I think and also through the sharing, after going through 9 years of working life.

* Bite the bullet but through God's strength (Uncle Chris)

"having been proved through fire, may be found to praise and honor and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ;" (1 Peter 1:7)

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" (Php 4:13)

* Ask for favour (Sista Win-Win-Beloved)

For You, O Jehovah, will bless the righteous; You will surround him with favor, as with a shield.
(Psa 5:12)

* Quit (Me!)


Upon reflection of what I did (quit) let me share to you how I go about the last job. Yes I was really happy that I got this job because of a good boss (he sponsored me to go for a Christian business seminar on the first week of work) and I got a raise within the first year.

Then things started to get really bad because
- I do not have a mentor, basically I am by myself 75% of the time through self learning, asking questions despite being a nuisance and to help others so that I can learn through OJT
- There's no sales manager, so there's no sales planning and thus no sales
- Immediate boss was good with the technical things but when it comes to selling, he really has no idea at all.
- He knows what he is selling, but there's no concerted effort to grow the business in the new direction.
- colleagues wise, all are ok except one that spews nonsense that even the cobra would lose to her.

With the above, I go through it with the Lord's strength as much as I could and also ask for favour which the Lord do give graciously through customer contacts. Somehow or rather, the results ain't that great so sales target did not hit.

In short, no direction but pressure to sell sell sell. I still remember Vincent asking me at that time, who is the one that gave me the job and why am I so fearful? (that's what happened on that small piece of paper) so that's the start of 'pushing' the Lord for His Provision and also for me to metanoia on God's ability to sustain me and my family

Right after one year anniversary at this job, things took a bad turn. My boss just out of a crunch time after setting up the new passport system for the government suddenly find that he has no business so the screw turns much harder. Plus he was getting stubborn and basically trying to do somethings that is going no where

Slowly, I am unable to sleep well, appetite grows because of stress and pretty depressed because of the stupid sales target hanging overhead.

Cut the long story short, Abba starts sending people along my way to say something to me. Thanks to brother Albert and a brother Sam (who sells cameras) and also some remarks from other people during the course of my decision making process, I realised I am capable of doing things but definitely not in sales. Plus the fact that a book has showed me that the place I am at has no wisdom in doing business, that cement the decision to quit.

What I am saying here is quitting do not really show that one has no faith in God. Sometimes, quitting is also a direction from God through the people He sent. God will put people in some place to do certain things or to learn certain lessons, but when the lesson is learnt, the mission is accomplished, guess what, time to move on...If this is not true, then I guess the Jews would still be wandering in the desert.

I always have this belief about God's blessings. Fact is I am trying to find this verse because I remembered the Chinese version of this verse at Ruth's old place at Bishan but somehow I cannot find it for a long time. But TODAY, it just popped up.

The blessing of Jehovah, it makes rich, and he adds no pain with it.
(Pro 10:22)

I guess, this was my measuring stick in the things that I am blessed with. If the 'blessings' I got causes too much pain, then I know I am doing a lot of things wrong and also means that this particular 'blessing' is really not from God! That's maybe the reason why I am so ready to quit the old job because it was just too painful to the point of worshiping mammon through the sales target.

Ultimately we must always defend this truth that it is God's will for us to dwell in the land of milk and honey. To be blessed so that we can be a blessing for others.

But I have said to you, You shall surely possess their land; and, I, I am giving it to you to possess it, a land flowing with milk and honey; I am Jehovah your God, who has set you apart from the nations.
(Lev 20:24)

Hear, then, O Israel, and take heed to do it, that it may be well with you, that you may increase greatly, as Jehovah the God of your fathers has promised you, in the land flowing with milk and honey.
(Deu 6:3)

And He has brought us to this place, and has given to us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey.
(Deu 26:9)

in order to establish the oath which I swore to your fathers, to give them a land flowing with milk and honey, as it is this day. Then I answered and said, Amen, O Jehovah.
(Jer 11:5)


And so I am of the opinion now, I am NOW in the land of milk AND honey and I am rich according to the riches of Heaven through Christ since Jesus has already establish the oath which God swore to our spiritual fathers through the cross.

Prayer Request: May the blessings of God through Shalom be upon us and our family NOW because of the completed work on the cross

Shalom Shalom

Wilson


"Life is too short to live it without JOY"

No comments: