Thursday, May 25, 2006

Ian McKellen Quote on Bible

"I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer at the front, saying "This is fiction." I mean, walking on water? I mean, it takes an act of faith" Ian McKellan.

Sometimes I wonder should I smile or should I be angry. Here is one man who acts in The Da Vinci Code movie as Leigh Teabing (yes I read the book just in case you are wondering), giving his take on one of the most telling episodes on the deity of Christ. This is also the same man who acts as the Grey/white wizard in The Lord of The Rings.

I like to point out that LOTR is written by JRR Tolkien, a catholic and a contemporary of CS Lewis, famous among the public for the Narnia books, but to me, his thoughts on Christianity in "Mere Christianity", is my favourite.

So acting as the wizard in the movie actually speaks to me of Christ, the sacrifice for the fellowship when facing the demon in the caves, fell with the demon into darkness (hell) and the "resurrection" in the third installment of the trilogy speaks of the risen Lord. I really wonder if Ian knows that.

Now he says the Bible is full of hogwash because it is fiction.

I turned to Psalms 39 and the very first verse, God spoke! (By the way, the Lord lead me to this chapter without prior knowledge of the verses within....trust me, I am not a walking bible)

" I said to myself, "I will watch what I do and and not sin in what I say. I will curb my tongue when the ungodly are around me."

Wow..power to the nth degree! We need to watch what we say, really...

Compared to DVC's sources and the Bible sources, the result is pretty clear...the bible is reliable through historical fragments, archaeology, and non-biblical texts. The writings of the church fathers shows that the bible verses are already in circulation way before the council.

There are also other ways to believe in the existence of God besides using the bible as a witness. For example...our body, our intellect, our sense of right and wrong. Do such things appear through evolution?

Can we make gold out of thin air (i wish)? If not, then how can this world form without a source or reason and thereby able to evolve without a start? Big Bang? How do you know is a bang? How can anything survive an explosion? let alone survive in extreme heat?

Do one know why lightning exists? We do not find it necessary yes? Why do trees appear as they are? How do we decide what trees looks nice and what isn't? How come we can decide on things...what makes us know that one thing is desirable and the other is not?

If we cannot answer everything, what makes us so sure that walking on water is impossible? What makes us so sure that things are to be what they are to be, just because they are 'tested' as such to be in such and such a manner?

If we can look at ourselves and make decisions based on crap facts, is it no wonder that this world is in such a mess? Therefore, man has to know that we cannot know all things, therefore we cannot make conclusions on ALL things. We can conclude on some, but definitely not all because our experiences and knowledge do not give us enough evidences to conclude otherwise.

For example, some say there is NO God....wow....HUGE statement. Why? There are pain and suffering everywhere which points to a non-existent God....wow...Now how can you be so absolutely sure when you are firmly planted on earth and have not even stepped out into space to start the hunt for God? Oh....Habbard see only stars and there's no heaven.....Is God physical? No..so are you able to transcent into the spiritual to know that God is not in the spiritual realm? You cannot? So can we absolutely conclude that there is no God?

If we cannot conclude, then it can only show that God indeed can be a real person and that God is EXTRA-ordinary, and SUPER-natural since nothing in the ordinary can describe God .

How do we know? He has touched millions upon millions of people, healed them and make them whole not just physically but spiritually. If Jesus can be beyond the physical, then the natural is easily subdued.

So can Jesus walk on water? Why not? Because He is God true and true therefore He is SUPER-natural (above nature) and EXTRA-ordinary (beyond ordinary).

So do I need an act of faith to believe that Jesus did walk on water? A quick look at myself and the world can conclude that what Jesus says about us is true, what He said about the world is true, therefore He is true. If so, since Jesus is God and thus Super Natural, therefore water which is natural can be walked on by someone who is super natural. If He has shown that He is true, then faith can be a small as a musturd seed because truth has no place for faith since truth is already being proven.

Faith is needed for the future, not for the past; for the present witness the past in order for us to face the future with Hope.

No comments: